Sunday, November 18, 2007

Pain vs. Itch

I have spent the last few days on the fence. The pain pills that I have make my skin itch - a lot. This is evidently a known side effect and not some sort of unexpected allergic reaction. After a week it had gotten to be very troublesome. My alternatives are ibuprofen and other over the counter pills. They work but not as well, of course. Yesterday and today I backed off of the prescription pills and the itching slacked off too. I still take them when I really need them. Unfortunately the pain kicked up a notch or two as well. That has slowed me down a bit. Of course, I have been out of the hospital for over a week so the worst after-surgery pain has abated quite a lot. I still get jabs that take me by surprise, though, and I have to move a little more deliberately. This will pass over time.

I'm still able to do more than I ever expected to be able to do at this point. I'm dutifully taking walks and working with my breathing exerciser gizmo. It measures the amount of air I'm able to breathe in. I made it to 2,250 ml today. I was stuck at 2,000 for a long time. I was down to 250 in the hospital and am shooting for the max of 4,000. That's a lofty goal.

So, things are plodding along. Not as dramatically fast as they had been but still steadily forward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, sunshine! I have been reading along and suddenly realized I hadn't written for a while. It all sounds good, though I'm sorry you have had cat challenges. As long as things are progressing, all's well. Not to rush to get back to work-- BUT I MISS YOU! If your phone # is in the directory, I will use it. If not, will you email it? Hope you have some great plans for Thanksgiving! L,SW