Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Morning walks

Over the weekend I started taking morning walks again. I walk from my house down to the Main St. in Ellicott City, across the Patapsco River bridge and back. It's almost exactly 1.5 miles. I had been doing this to get ready for the surgery and now I'm doing it as part of my recovery program. During the day the route is busy with traffic but I go early in the morning. The roads have an entirely different character then, almost deserted. I took my camera this morning. Here's a photo.


The day before I went into the hospital I saw a blue heron standing in the river as I crossed the bridge. When Pat and I took my first long walk after the surgery we saw one in the middle of the river. And the first day I started taking the morning walk after the surgery, I saw one again from the bridge. I haven't seen one since. Not yet anyway. I can't help but wonder if it was the same one all three times. I like to think it was.

4 comments:

catlady said...

The picture is neat. I love it when the rest of the world is basically asleep and I am up and roving.

old dog said...

I didn't rrealize you were so close to the main drag.
Do you know about a company on Frederick Avbenue in E. City that sells Australian clothing? I bought the neatest coat from them at the Irish Festival and I would like to see the store. Can't remember the name unfortunately.
It's good to hear that you're steppin' out.

Anonymous said...

Birds have been symbolic to me at certain times in my life. When I was deciding whether to quit a certain job, I noticed a venue of vultures each morning on my route. I never saw them again after I handed in my resignation. Instead, I saw a kettle of hawks soaring overhead each afternoon on my way home. May you see a siege of herons one morning to encourage you in your recovery.

JimD said...

Thank you. It did seem symbolic to me somehow. And as it happens, the heron was back again this morning. That was reassuring.