Saturday, November 3, 2007

The basic schedule for Tuesday

Just in case you were wondering, here's the basic schedule for Tuesday and the days that follow.
  • I'm due at the hospital at 5:30 a.m.
  • Surgery is scheduled for 7:30. I'll be in the Weinberg building at Johns Hopkins hospital.
  • They expect the surgery to take between 2 and 4 hours.
  • After surgery I'll be in intensive care overnight.
  • If all goes according to plan, I'm expected to be in the hospital for 3 to 5 days. I didn't ask if that included the night in intensive care or not. That should have me home some time Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

My sister, Pat, is coming to stay this week. She arrives Monday and will stay here until the following Monday. I should be home by then. When she leaves my friend Jim will come and stay with me for a while to make sure I'm doing OK.

I've arranged for people to post to this blog via email messages when I'm unable to do it. If you're interested in updates (and thank you in advance for caring about that) this is probably the best way to check that day.

I really have no experience in this so it's very difficult for me to know how I'm going to feel, how it's going to work with visiting, etc. Sue has offered to act as a contact point for folks. I've given her number and email to various people. Feel free to call or email my family as well. And of course, as much as I'm able after the show is on the road, I'll be taking calls and checking email - but I might not be the best point of contact right at the beginning.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Jim,
Well, I am both nervous and relieved that the big day is nearly here for you, and I am not the one having surgery. You will be in countless prayers that day, as you have been throughout your journey.

To Jim's many friends who will be thinking of him on Tuesday, I know from experience that cell phones don't work inside Hopkins' waiting rooms. If you email me your phone number in advance at Learnat@aol.com, I will do my best to call you with an update. (Please put "Jim" in the email subject line). Later when Jim returns home, I am helping coordinate meal deliveries for him; let me know if you'd like to receive the email meal schedule. Jim knows me well; I'm glad he gave me this small job to do in place of worrying.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
I agree with Sue - I'm sure that you feel a combination of relief and apprehension about the date of your surgery. You will certainly be in everyone's prayers. I'm looking forward to visiting with you after your surgery.
Talk to you soon.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim, Famiy and friends are all sending love and caring your way--it's a wonderful big circle of people holding hands while surrounding you with the love and caring we all have for you. I have faith in the medical staff and their expertise and all the rest of us can provide the warm fuzzy parts to your healing process! From the president of the Jim DeArmey Ohio Fan Club, Janet (Jennie's oldest sister)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
There are many people, most of whom you have never met, who are uplifting you in prayer here in Denver. I'm glad to be able to be with you to help however I can.
Pat