Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A landmark day - and the cat starts up

This time last Tuesday I was in surgery. It is difficult for me to comprehend that it was just a week ago. All of the worst of this is already behind me - I hope! So much has changed since then. So much anxiety lifted away. The general pain from the surgery seems to be going away at a steady rate. It still hurts a lot when cough. I can't say I enjoy that (which would be weird) but it is a sign of recovery so it's not bad either.

In other news, the $%@&! cat started to pee on my guest futon again. I think it's a combination of behavioral problems and urinary problems. A little blood in the urine (hers, not mine) last night. That was a first. Jim arrived to stay with me yesterday after Pat left and I was glad he was here to run us up to the emergency vet. I'll talk to my regular vet about this today. She's a sweetheart and is both very knowledgeable and reassuring. I appreciate both of those attributes. It's funny that with all that has gone on, the cat's urinary problems seem daunting to a degree that's way out of perspective. I'm glad I bought that waterproof mattress pad, though. That was a little advance planning that really paid off. We'll be spending some of the day doing laundry.

Almost time for my 10:00 pain pill booster shot. Woo hoo. These pills seem to work and they don't make me too sleepy or loopy. I'm glad of that. The doctor told me that it was important to stay ahead of the pain so I have been taking them on the schedule they recommended. I hope to begin to wean myself off of them slowly in another few days. We'll see how that goes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim - Todd and I are coming tomorrow, can I assume you have a working slow cooker? My food item requires it.
-E

old dog said...

So surprised to read that you are home! Good medicine really I expect.
I take credit for the "so far so good" recovery because of the two glasses of Guiness I toasted you with at the irish Festival over the weekend.
You are on my mind!

Dave L. said...

Hi Jim,

Just wanted to say hi and that I'm glad everything went well. That's excellent. I'm glad you are home so soon and adapting so well. Actually, given that it's you,I shouldn't be surprised because you were dealing with your situation so calmly and philosophically prior to surgery.

I know it sounds cliche' but if there is anything I can do for you please don't hesitate!

Best,
Dave

Anonymous said...

Jim, you are amazing! I see you rarely, but pray for you every day and know you will soon be well.

Karen said...

It's good news to hear that you're moving right along in the healing process! Hopefully the cat issues will settle down quickly. Nothing like a little cat pee to distract you!

Karen