Sunday, November 11, 2007

Days of wonders

I have had a wonderful series of days. My only jobs for the next few days are to exercise - mostly by walking, take my pills on schedule and keep breathing. All that seems to be going well. In the meantime, I've had some visitors, many calls, and my family has been keeping quite an eye on me. John came over yesterday just to make us pancakes and Tom drove up just for the day to check in. He brought press cookies made from my mother's recipe - mmmmmm. Pat, of course, has been staying with me and handling absolutely everything that might come up. Someone asked her yesterday why she came back and she thought about it for quite a while. Then she said that she knew she could be helpful but primarily it was just important for the team of the four of us to be assembled for this. That rang true to me. I could have happily gotten by with no royal treatment (not that I didn't appreciate it) as long as I knew that my family was with me. Here's a picture of yard message that Pat set up outside my bedroom window yesterday. I love it.

I'm supposed to be walking. That seems to be going very well. Actually, I can't believe how well it is going. People have congratulated me but I can't take credit for that. All the doctors, nurses and other hospital staff seem to have done a perfect job on me. This morning Pat and I took a walk along the Patapsco river. The trail there is flat so we walked as far as seemed advisable. I checked when we got home to see that we had goine 2.6 miles. It just doesn't seem like this could be possible. Here's a picture of the trees reflecting in the river. It was so beautiful. We also saw a huge blue heron on a rock in the middle of the river. What a morning!

5 comments:

Sue said...

I was writing that I can't believe you are walking miles less than one week before your surgery, but I do believe. I believe in the trifecta of healing powers that surround you: your positive attitude, prayer, and very loving family. I look forward to hiking the Cascade Trail again with you. (I'll start training tomorrow so I won't slow you down, you over-achiever)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sue. You're remarkable. Want to take Shadow next time?

Just kidding.

See you through the forsythias!

Durable Goods said...

I'm thinking I need to check myself into Hopkins so that I can start doing 1/10 marathons less than a week after surgery! What exactly do they put in their Jello there? That's twice around Lake Montebello!

You're great motivation to get me outside and aerobically exercising.

wine knot said...

You are an amazing person -and not just because of all you're doing so soon after surgery. You are making us smile. You know how concerned your friends have been and yet you are taking care of us. I keep you in my heart and prayers.

Sue said...

I am so touched by your notes....
I also just realized that the message in the garden is Be Well instead of Believe! (Check the eCard I sent you). But either way it is a beautiful thought!