Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Brokenhearted

My friend Barry died today. He had melanoma a few years ago and they thought that they had caught it in time. In May they found that it had come back very seriously. He went through surgery, treatment, paralysis and a host of other indignities and challenges since then. In all that time he was realistic and brave and positive. Barry lived a full life of rich experiences, great accomplishments and strong relationships, and as these last months passed it was clear that it was his ties with others that were the most important thing in his life. I have been blessed with dear friends and a wonderful family, and all who knew him would agree that there was no more close or constant friend than Barry. I wish and pray for peace for him. And I pray for comfort for all of us who loved him and who love him still.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jim,
My name is Cindy Hawes, I have worked with Barry for over 16 years, I will miss him deeply. I loved 'Barry's Journey' blog and wonder if there is a way I could print his story for myself. There are so many of Barry's wonderful memories that I would like to keep. You have given him a wonderful gift and to us as well to keep his memory alive.
God bless you.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Oh Jim,
You too are in my thoughts and prayers, the end seemed so abrupt it was shocking. It is a blessing to have such a great friend. May your many memories of Barry help you deal with his loss. I am so thankful you got to Florida to spend a weekend with Barry. And Barry, Rick, and all of Barry's loved ones are thankful that you created and maintained his blog that made us feel a part of his inspiring journey. It is a legacy that reminds all of us to live each day as bravely, eagerly and joyfully as Barry did. And you are a blessing to BE such a great friend.
sue