Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Surprising art - with a surprise

In the winter when was driving to work I noticed that someone had made a small tower of river stones, a cairn, near at the river's edge. It is a surprising little piece of natural art. Yesterday when I was driving home and crossing the river bridge I noticed that someone had made several of them just upstream from the bridge. I don't know if it was the same person - or people - or not. They were very striking in their way.

This morning I took my camera with me when I walked down to the river. The photo I got isn't the best. The morning light reflecting off the water created too much contrast. I'm including it anyway. As I was taking the photos I noticed that one of the cairns wasn't stone at all but was actually a blue heron. Maybe he felt comfortable there among all the standing stones. It was difficult at first to spot him. You can click on either of the pictures below for a larger view - the top one if you want to try to spot the heron yourself, or the bottom one if you want to see it without searching. As I said, they aren't the best photos but they certainly captured the moment for me. A surprising piece of art with an additional surprise.


No comments: