Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Groundhog Day

The walks down to the river these past few days have been beautiful. I like being up and about in the half light of morning. This time of year the sun is not quite over the horizon when I'm out. The river picks up the colors of the sky and the trees. It's very serene. This is my favorite part of the day - before the day's duties begin. Yesterday a train came by just as I was crossing back over the river bridge into downtown Ellicott City and just as I was going under the railroad bridge a grain truck came through to deliver supplies to the Wilkins-Rogers plant. On the way up the hill I said hello to a woman who was leaving her house to go to work. This morning the exact same sequence of events happened. The train came just as I was on the way back over the bridge. It even had the same type of cars. The truck came under the railroad bridge just as I got there, and later the same woman was on her way out the door as I passed. It was such an old time small-town sort of scene and I'm glad to have been there for it twice. It was like the movie Groundhog Day where the same day keeps happening over and over. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I suspect it will be different.

No comments: