Thursday, May 29, 2008

Frivolity and seriousness

Last night I went to my brother's house where we sheared his one sheep. That poor sheep. We are truly terrible at this. This year we tried to do better. I had studied videos that I had gotten from other libraries and had watched several YouTube videos. We had also watched the sheep shearing demonstration a the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. Mostly all that did was intimidate me. Nevertheless, we forged ahead and today the sheep has less wool on her than she had yesterday. She's no showpiece but she'll be more comfortable this summer. As a side benefit, my hands are silky soft because of all that lanolin.

As I was getting ready for work, I saw a hummingbird at the weigelia bush in the back yard. Just at that moment, the phone rang. It was my friend Barry who had just received some crushing medical news. I'm still in a dazed state of semi-denial after speaking with him and am trying to think of any way to be of help. The phone call made the other lighthearted features of the day seem very frivolous. Still, it reminded me that those brief wonderful or fun moments are to be remembered and cherished. We never know how many of them will be allowed to us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have found that it is more difficult to worry about a loved one than to face your own health concerns. The reason seems to be that we have some control, some choices, and a plan of action when it comes to our own health. I am so glad you are doing a blog for Barry. Not only will it be a source of comfort for him and a source of information for his family and friends, it will give you a means of expressing your love and support, of being helpful.