Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday morning

This morning I started out slightly before dawn armed with my cool GPS device and found my first geocache. If you haven't heard about these, you can find pretty much everything you need to know on Wikipedia and on Geocaching.com. It was my first stab at this so I went for one that was supposed to be very easy to find. I found it and I am unreasonably proud of myself.

Part of the trip involved a short but steep hike up a hill. I was surprised at how many times I had to stop and catch my breath. Less lung has really made a difference for me. What I had wasn't such a big deal compared to what others have been through. Still, things like this remind me that it was substantial nonetheless. I'll be going on a trip to Arizona shortly and hope to do some hikes in the mountains near there. I'm interested now to see how that will work out.

Just after I found the geocache, there was a sudden downpour of little snow pellets. It only lasted for a couple of minutes. With all the pellets hitting the dry leaves, the wind, and the sunrise, it was a multisensory experience. Last week I started what will be some particularly difficult challenges at work. This morning was a good way to get some perspective on that.

I'm including a couple of photos I took on the trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures. Have fun in Arizona but take it easy on yourself and relax. Looking forward to geocaching with you when you return.