Thursday, February 28, 2008

Returning to what has sustained me

I have been having to deal with a lot of interpersonal issues lately. Some have been difficult. When I got home tonight I read through the Prayer of St. Francies. A copy of it hangs on the plaque in my room. It offers a lot of guidance. Here it is,

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not seek so much to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand, to be loved as to love; for it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.

This contains so mush wisdom and I think anyone who can remember to live by it will both be happy and help others to be happy. St. Francis probably doesn't need any editorial suggestions from me. But if I had one thing to add to this prayer, I would add a line that says, "Where there is difference, let me sow tolerance." It is very easy work so hard to win on an issue that you can lose track of what is being given up to do it or the pain that is being caused to others on the way.

I'm putting this post in the poetry category even though that's not entirely accurate. The prayer of St. Francis is poetry to me, though, because it gives me what I seek in poetry - beauty and inspiration.

No comments: