Monday, December 31, 2007

As the year ends

It's New Year's Eve. Wow. What a whirlwind of a year this has been. So many ups and downs. My uncle died early in January after a very long illness. In the middle of the year I got sick and spent much of the rest of the year dealing with that. In the middle of all this were some wonderful times. A great cruise with Sue, a visit to Lynn and Bill in Maine and then off to see Jim in Rehoboth. And of course, the spectacular month-long birthday celebration that finished with the trip with my family in Colorado.

This year is ending with a lot of holiday hubub. I haven't taken time, as I had hoped to do, to reflect on all that has happened. I have learned many things - some important and some trivial - that will stick with me. Some of them are..

  • Being sick didn’t cause me to grow into some wise, saintly, ever-positive person. However, it did give me a much stronger motivation to try for that.
  • My family and friends will always be there for me.
  • My breathing is really not going to be as good as I had hoped. It will take me some time to get used to that. I will still be able to do everything I need to do. Some of it might just not be as easy as it had been.
  • When I retire, I'll have to have a definite plan, otherwise I'll end up watching TV all the time.
  • If I wait until I feel great or until everything is right to try something new or difficult, then I'll wait forever and never accomplish anything.
  • They tell you that you’ll lose weight when you have surgery but you can’t count on that. Time for yet another New Year’s resolution in that direction.
  • I will try harder than ever now to spend more time on important things.
  • I will work to remember daily how fortunate I have been and will try to be worthy of that good fortune.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to my great friend! As 2007 has proven, we don't know what is in store for us. But when we face adversity, we learn about ourselves, our friends, our family, and what is truly important. I am wishing health and joy for everyone in 2008. And this year, I hope to be able to clean house, lose weight AND save the world at the same time. If you could get through last year and still be smiling, the above should be a cinch.