Wednesday, September 10, 2008

All good news

I am home from the pulmonologist and surgeon appointments. All of the news was good. Here are the pivotal words from the CT scan report, "There is no evidence of infiltrate, consolidation, mass or nodule." I had no indication that I would get any news other than this but it had been on my mind a lot nevertheless. So many others have received worse and completely unexpected news this year.

My pulmonologist, Dr. Nanavaty, gave me a lung function test today, too. From what he told me, I have about 80% of the lung function that would be expected from someone of my age, race and sex. He doesn't have any measure from before I got sick so he compares me to the statistical standard. He did have the pre-op test results and it turns out that the lung capacity is about 10% less now than it was before the surger. That makes sense. I had evidently been working with less than the usual amount of lung when that first test was done.

I will have to go back regularly for follow up testing but they don't seem scary now. What a year, or couple of years this has been.

No comments: