Monday, October 29, 2007

Passed my pre-op physical - pretty much

I had my pre-op physical today. I passed - unless my blood tests come back with some surprises which I don't think will be the case. My primary care doctor is truly a kind man. I'm grateful to him. If he hadn't pressed for a CT scan for me earlier this summer my tumor never would have been spotted. When in his waiting room I have often noticed how he took extra steps to confront insurance companies and bureaucracies to make sure that his patients got the care that they needed. This impressed me but I never thought that I would be one of those people. Today I thanked him - more than once - for having done that for me as well. I was surprised at his reaction. He brushed it off as being part of his job. Not unkindly, but in a self-effacing manner. I have taken care not to identify anyone by name in the posts I've made here. Internet-o-phobia and respect for people's privacy are the motivations there. But call me if you're looking for a doctor. I have one to recommend.

Oh, by the way, it seems I have some old-guy issues that will need to be addressed at some point after all this is done. I have a hernia. Grrr. Not a big one. I think it developed from being more than a little overweight combined with all the coughing I did this summer. Yippee. As if this surgery isn't enough. I get to have something much more minor to look forward to some time in the future.

On another note.........

This has been an odd day. I keep a spiral notebook so that I can write down whatever I might have to remember when I'm in assorted doctors' offices. I was really on the ball at work this morning and congratulated myself on my efficiency. When I arrived at the doctor's office for the physical I realized that I left my illness notebook at work and my mobile phone at home. I just might be over the top with things to remember to do. Luckily I have lists in my currently-at-large-but-I-hope-is-in-my-office notebook that should keep me from missing anything too critical.

And one other thing.....

The people in my department at work have been great. They have been very quiet about it but today I finally realized that they had been quietly anticipating things that are likely to come up while I'm away. I wouldn't have such a clear mind about skipping out for survery if I didn't know that they were ready to step up and handle whatever might develop in my absence. I am very grateful for that. When I think about it, things usually go more smoothly in the department when I'm not there. Hmmm..........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie! Feel so bad that you've been blogging away since August and I didn't know it! I read everything and I was pretty up to speed on everything so that's good. I am still available to come play Hazel on Sunday -- we'll talk!

Karen said...

I still haven't talked to you. I'm sorry! When the high holiday (and I mean Halloween) is over.
I'm glad things are progressing as they should.