Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Being the sick person

More than once I've been in the situation where I was one of the main caregivers to someone who had a serious illness. When I found out that I had this tumor, I realized how unprepared I was to be the patient instead. It wasn't really more scary but it seemed much more difficult and complex. Recently, though, a few people very dear to me began to face health problems that could turn out to be serious. What a feeling of helplessness that brings on. It can be much harder to be the person who's trying to help when you don't know what to do or when there isn't really much you can do. When you're the sick person you're in a position of some power. Within your physical limits, you have the ability to make things easier - or harder - for yourself and for those around you. I hope I'm doing and OK job of that.

No comments: