Monday, May 4, 2009

Another loss

On Friday my aunt Joan died. Her name is pronounced as Joanne. She was actually my mother's cousin which makes her really a second or third cousin of mine. I'm not good at this sort of definition. To me, she fell into the aunt category - being part of the group of adults that we were paraded past when we went back to the Windber/Johnstown area to visit relatives. Joan lived in a really cool house up on Route 30 near Stoystown, PA and going to visit there was always an adventure. What I and all of my family will remember most about her is the way she laughed. She was an intelligent, direct, and matter-of-fact woman. Her laugh carried with it confidence, amusement, perspective and fellowship with everyone within earshot.

Losing Joan is to lose yet another of the constants from my childhood. There have been many such losses over these past several months. I will remember her always and will remember her laughing. That was a great gift to leave with us.

No comments: