Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A morning of mishaps

So, yesterday I mowed the lawn and trimmed down an assortment of weeds from an overgrown garden that I had been neglecting. I also made a chocolate mashed potato cake (pretty tasty) for the volunteer appreciation luncheon at work. This morning I woke up with poison ivy from teh yard work. When I went to wash the dishes from baking last night, a chunk popped out of the drain pipe under my kitchen sink. The water flooded the cabinet beneath and flowed out onto the floor. This made me late enough for work that I got caught in traffic, when the low fuel light came on in the car. I know from experience that I have a several miles left to go in a case like that but I had to stop for gas on the way to work which made me even more late than I had expected. It was one of those mornings.

I emailed my brothers who know a lot about house maintenance (see the post just before this one) with photos of the pipe problem. To me, the two possible solutions for this sort of thing are to call a plumber or to sell the house. To them, this is just a routine thing like mowing the lawn or vacuuming the floor. I heard back from both of them moment later with phrases like "easy to replace'" and "no big deal." I don't get it but I somehow lucked into this safety net and I'm glad of it. I may be washing dishes in the bathroom sink for a couple of days but that's easy to accommodate.

So, now it's time to kick in and start scratching the poison ivy. I'll have to deal with that one on my own!

No comments: