Friday, May 15, 2009

A good year for locust trees

When I was driving yesterday I noticed that the locust trees are blooming more heavily than usual this year. We have had a lot of rain in the last few weeks and that probably had something to do with it. This morning is cool and foggy and the air is heavy with the scent of the locust flowers. This has always been one of my favorite times of year. The locusts will be followed by roses and honeysuckle and peonies. They all perfume the morning air.

I have been busy with an assortment of duties and tasks lately and haven't had time to spend on some less pressing but more important things. It's easy to get caught up in that sort of whirl. I'll be working on changing that pattern now. It will take a conscious effort.

I'll start by leaving work a little early this afternoon to take the kayak out on the river. It promises to be a beautiful day and I don't want to waste it.

1 comment:

sue said...

Know what you mean. I am enjoying the scent of both peonies (transplanted from my parents' yard) and roses in my front yard this evening.