Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Home again

Yesterday was great. We ended up not going to the ball. The events of the day and difficulty getting around the city made it a challenge. We finally got back to the apartment at about 4 and the parade was just beginning. It was supposed to start at 2:30. That meant that the balls were going to run later than expected. We had hoofed it about seven miles through town and then stood for hours. It would have been another two mile walk to the ball and then three hours of standing around with the 7,000 other people who were expected to be there. Somehow the charm of that paled in comparison to actually having been in the crowd at the inauguration itself. We decided to head on home. Traffic on the way out of the city was amazingly manageable.

There were a million street vendors selling Obama everything. From what I could tell, the big sellers weren't actual inauguration souvenirs but chemical hand warmers. They were a big hit. I didn't need to have a lot of stuff but I did want to get some sort of souvenir. I bought this "I was there." button.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim, All the coverage I saw on TV was quite inspiring. I can't even imagine what it was like to be there! Sounds like it was quite tiring but definitley worth it. You must still be pretty exhausted today!