Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A sad loss today

I heard today that my aunt Dolores died. We were nearly out the door on our way to see her when the news came in. Dolores had been very ill for some time and I'm relieved for her that the difficult time has ended. But that's a bit of rationalization on my part. The selfish me wants her back.

I guess, legally, Dolores doesn't count as an offiical aunt. Her husband Steve was the brother of my mother's sister's husband. Confusing, I know, but maybe this will help:
Dolores -married- Steve -brother of- John -married- Kathleen -sister of- Nancy (my mother.)

When my mother and father left the Windber/Johnstown area to live in Baltimore, Steve and Dolores were the only hometown people who were living here too. I remember my mother telling me about the times when my sister died and when my father died. Steve and Dolores were right by her side in an instant. She said that she wouldn't have been able to make it through those times without them.

Dolores has always been a constant in our lives. Steve and Dolores came to our house every Thanksgiving. After both my mother and Steve had died, Dolores came to Thanksgiving dinner at my house. In recent years she hadn't been well enough to make the trip and the holiday was dimmer because of that.

We have made many, many trips up to the Johnstown area over the past few years to visit family. With Dolores gone, I realize that we have lost our last real tie to that area. So sad in many ways.

Steve was always quiet while Dolores was happiest when she was chatting with someone. Although I don't remember it, I evidently once referred to them as Stevendolores and the man who comes with her. My family has never let me forget that. One of many memories that I will hold onto now.

At Thanksgiving we always had whisky sours as a pre-dinner cocktail. Over the years we have added extra cherries in memory of those who have gone. I will say a rosary tonight and then I'll have a whisky sour with an extra cherry for Dolores. She would appreciate both those things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim,
So sorry to hear the news. I know that you'll cherish your memories. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
Sorry to hear about Aunt Delores. Thanks for sharing some of your memories about her in your blog. Take care. Hope to see you soon.