Thursday, April 24, 2008

This week's poem

Here's another entry to keep up with my National Poetry Month campaign. This week I amd posting the lyrics to a favorite song of mine. It comes from the Trio II album by Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Emmylou Harris. Some day I would like to meet Emmylou Harris. I know nothing about her except her music. She seems to include a song on each album that stays with me.

I don't know how much or how little these lines will strike someone who is reading them for the first time since I first heard them as a song. I like to think that anyone who has heard them set to music would understand why I chose this.

When We're Gone, Long Gone

Trouble, we have known trouble
In our struggle just to get by.
Many times the burden's been heavy
Still we carried on side by side.

And when we're walking together in glory
Hand in hand through eternity,
It's the love that will be remembered
Not wealth, not poverty.

And when we're gone, long gone
The only thing that will have mattered
Is the love that we shared
And the way that we cared
When we're gone, long gone

No comments: