Friday, April 11, 2008

A sad but hopeful poem for a grey day

This morning was grey and foggy. At the same time, many trees have begun to bloom - mostly white and pink. They make a beautiful impression against the light purple sky. This day had "stay in bed" written all over it. If I were home I would probably already be taking a nap with the windows open, feeling the breeze and waiting for the rain that is expected later in the day.

This morning I remembered a poem that I hadn't thought about in quite some time. It is a somber but hopeful one, perfect for this sort of day. It's another one by Christina Rossetti and has brought me great comfort in the past. I'm including it as part of my poem-a-week plan for National Poetry Month.

REST

O Earth, lie heavily upon her eyes;
    Seal her sweet eyes weary of watching, Earth;
    Lie close around her; leave no room for mirth
With its harsh laughter, nor for sound of sighs.
She hath no questions, she hath no replies,
    Hushed in and curtained with a blessed dearth
    Of all that irked her from the hour of birth;
With stillness that is almost Paradise.
Darkness more clear than noonday holdeth her,
    Silence more musical than any song;
Even her very heart has ceased to stir:
Until the morning of Eternity
Her rest shall not begin nor end, but be;
    And when she wakes she will not think it long.

No comments: