Thursday, March 20, 2008

Slapped in the face by God

I have been talking a lot about taking the high philosophical road. At the same time, I have let some relatively small things get to me recently. These issues were very big to some of the people around me and I don't mean to discount that. Nevertheless, I had been making more of them than I should. Today I got news that someone I've known my whole life is facing a health threat that could be far worse than anything I have seen. I will shut up about my personal trivial challenges now and will work to remember two things - how truly lucky I am and how much power I have to lighten the burden of those about me. I believe that messages are sent to us all the time and that we just have to keep our minds and hearts open enough to receive them. Today I feel as if I have been truly slapped in the face by God with one such message. I am sorry for having been so self centered. As the nuns at St. Mark's would have framed it, I will offer up my trials in the hope that it will lighten the burdens of others.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Ah, I've had those moments too. I think we all need them to help us put life into perspective. This doesn't mean that what is happening in your little corner of the globe isn't troublesome, frustrating or down right "not fair" but it does mean there are others out there who are a lot worse off.

I used to get email updates from a woman who was experiencing more than a few "life stressors" all at the same time. Her emails never failed to come at a time when I felt like alls wrong with the world....they helped me immensely. She not only had a husband with inoperable brain cancer, selling one house - buying a new one but they were adopting 2 kids who had come from abused homes. She somehow managed to do it all with such grace and style. I told her on more than one occasion how much her emails helped me.

Don't hesitate to bitch, vent, moan, even cry a little about whatever is going in your part of the world - just remember to keep it all in perspective. I have faith that you will.