Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A bad week

I am feeling a little overwhelmed today. This poem occurred to me. It's more dramatic than necessary to describe how I'm feeling but it seems to capture the tone nonetheless. It's "Not Waving But Drowning" by Stevie Smith. Oddly, it was written the same year I was born...

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

Health-wise, everything is going along as well as could be expected. Lots of this hasn't been easy but could have been so much worse that I haven't been focusing on that. In the meantime, I am having to deal with some other things that are using up much more time and energy than they should. I am working today on putting some things into perspective and realizing that what motivates and is important to me is not always the same thing that motivates and is important to everyone else. Still, it's a chance to learn, to grow, and to develop greater understanding. That is always good. Just today, though, I feel like I've had enough opportunities for that over the last year.

No comments: