Wednesday, June 6, 2012

June 2012

The sixth of the month again. It's always a special day for me.  Most of today didn't have much to recommend it.  It was a day among many others with necessary tasks at home and frantic activity at work.  It was a beautiful day, though - cool and clear with a sky filled with the sort of clouds you see in calendar photos.  I happened to look up just as I got out of the car when I got home and saw a blue heron flying overhead.  I saw herons often during the time that I was sick. That has always been reassuring to me in some way.  It was the same today. 

After the sun went down I went into the back yard and saw lightning bugs for the first time this year. They may have been sparkling back there for days or weeks but this was the first time I had spotted them.  It was good to see them there.

A heron and some lightning bugs. Not really remarkable sights I suppose, but seeing them has given me quite a lift.  There's something very comforting in seeing familiar, beautiful things.  Old friends gone for a while and back again.

No comments: