Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tendon progress

Well, I had my third foot doctor appointment today to talk about the torn Achilles tendon. He had the results from my second MRI. It turns out that my original tear was about 5.5 mm horizontally. That doesn't sound like much to me but it's just under a quarter of an inch and evidently counts as a reasonably large injury.

After two months with that boot on my leg the tear has healed its way down to 4 mm. That's about a 20% improvement. The doctor said that he thought we should give it another month to heal and check again. Surgery would mean that I couldn't put any weight on it for 6 weeks. Waiting another month in the hope that it might keep healing seems like a good option go me. I'll need another MRI in four weeks and will see him again in mid-Deecember. If it continues to heal then I'll keep wearing the boot even after that. If not, it'll be surgery for me. Something fun for the holidays.

Speaking of holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up. For Hallowe'en I wore the boot and carried a jug with three X's on it. I was bootlegger. It looks like I might need to come up with similar holiday related boot decorations for the next few months, too.

I am trying to be positive about this.

1 comment:

MJN said...

My poor, sweet baboo!! Soon, hopefully soon! Will it heal at the same rate, any prospects for faster?