Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A new development

Well, yesterday I found out that I have a torn Achilles tendon. Since I started this blog to report health info during my tumor episode, it seems fitting to record this latest news here, too. Actually yesterday was just the day I got confirmation about what is going on. I knew something had been up for over a year. It hurts A LOT some of the time but not consistently. Lately it started to swell so I went to the doctor who sent me to a podiatrist. That doctor sent me for an MRI which confirmed the tendon tear.

I think this all started up when I pulled the tendon in August of 2008 while getting ready for that 5K at Disney World. It has taken a long time to ripen into a problem. I don't know what I'll need to do to get this one fixed. Of course I went right to the web and read all sorts of conflicting information about theraputic footwear, physical therapy and/or surgery. I'll wait until the doctor fills me in when I see him later this month. In the meantime I'll be hobbling along as usual.

Speaking of hobbling along, I have been trying to keep up with the morning walks despite the whole tendon/ankle thing. This morning I came upon my first real autumn leaf. It was still dark so I took a photo of it with my snappy new Blackberry phone with a built-in flash. Here's that picture.


Just before I saw the leaf I spotted a deer on the edge of the woods. This one was a buck with antlers. While I often see deer in the morning before dawn I have never spotted a buck like this before. That was a cool experience. From what I have read, this is the time of year when you're most likely to spot a buck. They grow antlers over the spring/summer and they begin to shed their covering of velvet in August as autumn approaches and deer romance season begins. They evidently shed the antlers once the honeymoon is over in December or later in the winter. We looked at each other for a while in the half light before he trotted off into the woods. A nice way to begin the day.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Good thing the buck didn't recognize you as Jim Dearmeat! He may not have let you get away. I am so sorry you got injured training for our big caper.