Monday, March 2, 2009

Requiem

Yesterday evening I went to hear a concert by the Handel Choir of Baltimore. It featured pieces by several composers but the program was built around an Organ Suite and a Requiem by Maurice Duruflé. I had never heard of Duruflé, let alone heard any of his music. It was very beautiful and the performance was magnificient. I had known of the Handel Choir but had never been to any of their concerts. A co-worker invited me to it through Facebook and I'm glad of that. I'll be keeping my eye on their concert schedule in the future.

It's hard to hear a requiem without thinking about friends and family I have lost. There were several this year. Sometimes when I am thinking about those who are gone, I take a moment and try to recall their voices. Often I can remember actual sentences. Usually it's something happy or something very sad. Rarely anything in between. In many cases I can hear the way the person laughed. It's comforting to be able to do that. It keeps them close.

No comments: