Friday, March 20, 2009

Morning walks again

I started back to taking morning walks. I needed to get some exercise and first thing in the morning seems like the only time that's consistently available. I do about three miles. Today I took the route that had the steeper uphill sections. That was maybe better exercise but it also gave me longer stretches of downhill. I like going out early before it gets light. It's very quiet then. Usually I don't see any people but there are animals about. This morning I saw came upon two groups of deer.

This has also been a bad week of health news for friends of mine. Two people with scary news. One is looking more hopeful now. For the other it's too early to tell.

Three times on the walk this morning a street light went out just as I got near to it and began to come back on just as I passed. That had a feeling of portent. If so, I'm counting on the light coming back on to be a good sign.

1 comment:

Marlene said...

Why I Wake Early

Hello, sun in my face.
Hello, you who make the morning
and spread it over the fields and into the faces of the tulips and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety-

best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness, to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light-
good morning, good morning, good morning.

Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.

Mary Oliver

Thought of you and your morning walks when I read this.
Hope your day is filled with great hands of light.