Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A day in the desert

I spent all day today wandering around in the desert. I had become a fan of geocaching a couple of years ago and decided to devote today to that. I had a very successful day and found 11 caches, including two that were multi-stage efforts. This proved to be a very good way to spend some time in the desert. I ended up going to many places that I wouldn't have seen otherwise and got to look at a lot of the desert close up. I'm sore; I have several bruises (only one is bleeding); and I have more than a few cactus spines that I don't think are completely removed. It was a great day.

I took some photos with my new camera. They seemed to come out well. It would be hard to mess up with a day as beautiful as this.




It was partly cloudy most of the day and windy. It was cooler than normal, too, but far from cold. A perfect day for rambling about. I'm glad that I had this day. The news here is full of predictions of snow in the desert for tomorrow. The last time they had measurable snow was seven years ago. Tomorrow they're predicting one to three inches in the valleys and more at higher elevations. I hope they're right. Snow on the cacti would be something to see.

---

P.S. on Tuesday morning at 6:50 a.m. - no snow after all. Too bad. They're still talking about it but just rain so far.

No comments: