Monday, December 20, 2010

A thought for the end of the year

I bought a greeting card recently when I was in New York. It has a quote from Einstein that reads,

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

I love that thought. I always lean toward the "everything is a miracle" side of things. I'm glad of that. It makes the days more enjoyable and interesting.

Whenever you read a quote like that, they never give you the source. I've come upon many "so and so once said..." quotes that are obviously foklore but people just keep passing them along. In this case, there's an excellent attribution on the wikiquote site. What I read there was much what could be expected. It seems as if Einstein said this or something like it but it's also possible that he may have been repeating something originally said by someone else. I like this thought and attributing it to Einstein gives it more punch so I'm choosing to believe that it came from him.

No comments: